"There are some things (like first love and one's first reviews) at which a woman in her middle years does not care to look too closely." - Stella GibbonsThis morning, I dropped a pile of books on my face. I was trying to decide what to read, and I sometimes find rearranging my massive (but ever smaller) to read piles helpful in that kind of pursuit. As I moved one pile, standing on tip toes and reaching for it precariously as it would happen, several books decided that they did not want to live anymore, and took a swan dive to the floor. Fortunately for them, and unfortunately for me, my face broke the fall. I fear I shall have a black eye. I fear I am being overly dramatic. For those of you who care, the books were P.D. James' Talking about Detective Fiction and Gift of the Gob by that woman who used to be on Can We Help? on ABC, whatever her name is. I would go and look at the book to find out, except presently we aren't speaking.
Last night I came down with a bad case of novellus unputdownabilitas which was brought on by Kathryn Stockett's The Help, as well as the fact that I have a history exam tomorrow. I read until well after midnight. I shan't apologise. If anyone was thinking of reading that book and couldn't decide, let me decide for you. Read it.
But despite all this reading and clumsiness that is going on, you may be surprised to hear that YES, I am still working on my Nanowrimo Novel for 2011, entitled The River. The novel has taken some rather strange twists. Last night, one character threw an orange at her sister.
Other things which have happened this week include:
* The beginnings of a Buffy the Vampire slayer marathon
* Lychee martini's... which for the record, have proven to me once and for all that I could never be the functioning alcoholic type of writer. At least not when History Boy is making the cocktails.
* The repeated deaths and reincarnation of my beloved laptop, Cedric, who is currently banished to the top of my writing paraphernalia box, under my desk. Not because I am mad at him, but because I fear for his health. IT Guy Brother may have have to rip his brains out so I can put them in a new body. Which means I need to think of a new laptop name.
* I got made over for Jade Goes with Everything.
* I saw a fantastic student production of As You Like It at Murdoch University. If you didn't go and see that, you really missed out. If you were in that, I salute you.
* I found a floppy hat! It's rust coloured and I never want to take it off.
Seriously, you're thinking. When did she have time to write???
I did, trust me.
Word count currently at 26 500 words. Aiming to be at 30 000 by tonight... in which case, why am I still talking to all of you???
Wish me luck. And take my books away. (Don't really, I'll cry.)
P.S. Comet November went live today. If you're missing me at all, head over tomorrow because I have a fictional piece going up at midnight.