Laura Jane Cassidy very kindly wrote this blog post for me.
Just because I am a little bit crazy, I created a contract for my writing group to sign so that they would work hard over the summer and reach their goals, although so far I am the only one who has signed one. It's just for a bit of fun, and I thought you might like to look at it, download it, sign it, share it, use it, etc.
How do YOU rewrite?
Merry Christmas and Happy Scribbling.
I, ______________________, writer, being of sound mind and body, pledge to begin a perilous journey of rewriting which will begin on Friday the 2nd of December, 2011 with the signing of this contract.
By signing, I am also agreeing:
1. That I will not belittle myself, even in private.
2. That I will not belittle my novel. I am banned from referring to it by demeaning nicknames such as the pile of crap.
3. That I will take my time editing. It is worth doing, and it is worth doing well.
4. That I will not go more than a week without at least thinking about my novel and I will not go more than a fortnight without working on it.
5. That when people ask me what I do, I will not say student or retail assistant or dole bludger, but writer, author or novelist.
6. That I will carry a notebook with me, and view the world like it has something to offer. (OR that I will use my skills of observation and amazing memory.)
7. That I will frequent coffee shops, book stores and other writer friendly places as well as becoming an occasional hermit.
8. That I will use colours other than red to mark up my manuscript.
9. That I will work on both hard copy and digital.
10. That I will rely on my writing circle for support and talk to them before any major deletions or restarts.
Having taken all of this into account, I hereby sign this contract and know that I may give up at any time but will only be letting myself and the future reading public down.
My goal is ________________________________________